Saturday, December 20, 2014

Round 1, Match F: Adaline Raine vs. JS Morbius

Hold onto your hats, judges, because we've got another actual competition, with two great stories!

Here, in random order, are the stories. Comments are moderated, and will be posted anonymously by me on the main blog, once the voting period is over. Judges, please remember to post according to the guidelines laid out in this post on the main blog.

Please come join in the fun at the Hot-Off Facebook event, to share your general and generous praise of the stories!


Story 1

Kaylin traced the old wooden door with her fingertips and trailed downwards, searching for a doorknob but found none. She dreamed about a dark cherry-wood one last night and though not usually inclined to fanciful whims followed the urge to search for it. Now here it stood without a way to enter.

“Of all the things...” She inhaled deeply then pictured it open and inviting. Kaylin held her arm straight out, closed her eyes and took a step.

To her immense surprise she entered into a dimly lit shop with bottles of all shapes, various sizes, some filled with glowing liquid in nearly every shade of the rainbow and more. She spied a purple bottle in the shape of tear drop and hesitantly wrapped her fingers around it.

“Just what the hell do you think you're doing!?” A grumpy, irritated voice cracked across the space while a decrepit man shambled towards her seemingly out of nowhere.

She startled then let go of the pretty amethyst vial and could only watch in horror as it smashed beautifully against the concrete floor. “Oh! I'm so sorry!”

“Do you know how much my potions are worth? How did you get in here? You stupid cow!”

She sobbed as the realization of what her breaking and entering then damaging goods would sound like to law enforcement. “I followed a dream!”

“Show me what you did to enter.” His voice cracked again and sounded even grumpier than before.

“I pictured coming through in my mind.” Kaylin shrugged and repeated her earlier actions. “I swear I'll pay you!”

“Tell me of this dream.” A much softer though deeper voice commanded.

She nodded through her tears than yanked her arm back as if burned. A tall, blond haired, muscled man stood where the old man had been seconds earlier. His eyes were a dazzling light blue that appeared to glow as if some mystical power lit them from inside and his ears were oddly pointed.

“How?”

“It's a spell but first explain.”

She couldn't take her eyes off him and simply shrugged. “I don't know.”

“Do you know what I do to women who force themselves into my sanctuary and destroy my goods?”

He touched the side of her hip and pulled her back into reality.

“No, what?” She squeaked as his fingers reached around and drummed against her bottom.

“They work off the cost of the broken items. But first,” his tone dipped lower, “they get punished.”

“Who are you? What punishment?” Kaylin inhaled sharply as he leaned down and whispered in her ear.

“I'm Eldrin and I mean physically.” He tapped his hand against each cheek to punctuate his message. “I cannot replicate the potion you spilled so we better get used to each other.”

“Great.” She replied now curious of his threat and for what plans he had in store.

Story 2

After four and three-quarter hours I finally saw the name of a road I recognized and quickly shoved my hand in to my pocket, to pull out the paper with the directions on. Placing the only things I'd brought with me carefully on the ground I unfolded the paper and glanced back and forth between the road sign and the directions a couple of times, before I finally convinced myself I was in the right place.

Taking a deep breath I slipped the paper back in to my pocket, picked up my items and began to walk down the road. Every few houses I turned to check the property number before carrying on until, about halfway down the street, I finally found the place I was looking for. The place I'd dreamed about entering every night for the last six months.

Placing my hand on the gate I lifted the catch, pushed it open and began to walk up the path. With the butterflies in my stomach doing somersaults I climbed the three steps separating me from my goal, lifted my hand and knocked, slightly harder than probably necessary, on the small pane of frosted glass in the centre of the heavy oak door. While I waited for someone to answer I glanced up and down the street, and saw more than one or two sets of curtains twitch, as if I was being watched.

Shrugging my shoulders I turned back to face the door at exactly the second it was swung open and we finally saw each other, in the flesh, for the first time. For what felt like hours neither of us spoke instead we just stood there staring at each other, neither of us knowing what to say, until you finally broke the ice.

“You came?”

“I promised you I would, and I never break my promises,” I replied, lifting my hand and offering you the roses. “These are for you.”

Slowly you lifted your hand and took the flowers from me.

“These are beautiful.”

It was then I noticed a small tear forming in the corner of one of your eyes.

“Hey what's wrong?” I asked, reaching for your hand.

“Nothing. I'm okay. Please come in.”

Stepping back you allowed me in before closing the door and turning back to me.

“I really didn't think you'd come.”

“Believe me, Kelly, nothing would have kept me away from your door today,” I replied, before wrapping my arms around your waist, pulling you close and kissing you for the first time. Nervously you pulled away, and looked up.

“What about, you know, my secret.”

“What about it?” I ask, pulling you as close as possible.

“Doesn't it bother you what people will say?”

“Fuck them. As far as I'm concerned you are the most perfect woman I have ever met, and just because you're transsexual makes no difference whatsoever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only registered judges' comments will be posted, until the conclusion of the round.